Skip to content

General Rules for Promotion

Promotion Rules for Faculty Members:

1- The applicant for appointment to the rank of assistant professor or professor must held the previous rank for at least five years, and the applicant’s paper may be accepted three months before the completion of the prescribed period at most.

2- He must have attended faculty development courses, or their alternatives, as determined by the Supreme Council of Universities.

3- In the application, which is transferred to the committee by the dean of the college from which the member is applying, the applicant shall specify the specialization in which he wishes to obtain a scientific degree, attached by  his  scientific publishing or accepted scientific production for publication, which he has after obtaining his last academic degree, and what he has supervised from master’s and PHD theses that have been approved, and the total scientific production is added to it in case of applying for a professor’s degree. The university and the college, from which the member is applying, submit a report evaluating his remarkable scientific and social activity and his outstanding works in the college or institute (Appendix No. 1 specifies the papers and documents accompanying the scientific production submitted to the Scientific Committee).

4- A faculty member who is seconded externally or internally or on a scientific mission or a leave for accompanying the spouse, and who has a valid approval from his university, can submit his paper to the scientific committees with a letter from the Dean of his college and submit the same paper and documents required , described in Appendix No. (1). However, it is not permissible for a faculty member to apply, after the end of the secondment, scientific mission or leave to accompany the husband, until after he returns and receives work.

5- At a later stage, after completing the points system for scientific journals and periodicals, the applicant must submit research papers that obtain a specified number of points.

General Rules for Promotion

1- The Supreme Council of Universities determines the specialization of each scientific committee for the promotion of faculty members, after taking its opinion, to serve as an umbrella for a group of sub-specialties, to be announced within the scientific departments, and in the case of a faculty member requesting promotion in an unlisted sub-specialty, the committee considers adding it so the committee must notify the Supreme Council of Universities to take the necessary action.

2- Publish the specializations on the scientific committees’ website on the university information network, after taking the opinion of the planning committees of the university education sectors.

3-A committee of s the scientific promotion committees is formed from 7-9 members of specialized professors, who  have been selected as arbitrators whose task is to promote faculty members to occupy the position of assistant professor and professor in the sub-specialties listed below.

4- The promotion of faculty members is based on the recommendation of the specialized scientific committee, according to a detailed and reasoned report evaluating the scientific production of the applicants (Appendix No. 7 shows a sample form for the collective report of the Scientific Committee on the examination of scientific production), and whether it qualifies them to occupy the position or the scientific title of the degree .

5- The University Council shall refer the grievances of the scientific committees, which it deems to be serious, to the Higher Advisory Committee of the Supreme Council of Universities. This committee studies in detail the complaints submitted, and it may return the papers to the relevant scientific committee to re-examine them again or file the complaint, with an explanation of the reasons of its decision.The 4 committee also should write a detailed report on the reasons for accepting or rejecting the grievance.

6- In the case that a scientific committee is not available to examine a specialization, the dean of the college must transfer the paper to the Secretary of the Supreme Council of Universities, who in turn refers it to the Supreme Consultative Committee to decide whether to refer it to one of the existing committees or to suggest forming a new committee after submitting it to the Supreme Council of Universities.